Saturday, October 16, 2010

Comparison and Contrast


There are many things and life that can be compared and contrasted. When I think of comparing and contrasting a design, my first thought are dresses and clothing. Many dresses look alike, but are different in their own way. The same goes for everything else, whether it is writing style, drawings, paintings, furniture, photography- anything.
When thinking about blogging a compare and contrast piece, I started to search for yellow dresses. There are so many yellow dresses in the world, all in different price ranges- so I thought I'd write a piece on how I can take a expensive several hundred dollar dress and compare it to a similar 40 dollar yellow dress.
This proved to be quite a challenging piece to blog about so I looked for different inspirations. Looking at my very last entry I looked at the two paintings I posted. The paintings that expressed anger.
This will be referred to as Painting A

And this of course, Painting B

Again these images were found on http://www.expressivehearts.com/art_gallery.html, a very interesting and awesome website by the way.

When I first glanced at these two paintings, I immediately thought that it accurately conveyed anger. Although both of these paintings convey that feeling, there are many differences and similarities between the two paintings.
The first similarity I noticed between painting A and B is the use of "fierce" bright colors. For some reason, I feel that the designers of these paintings, like me thinking of these colors as "angry colors. The obvious differences between these paintings are the actual colors- Painting A being all red, and Painting B being orange, brown and black. The strokes on Painting A, to me seem a frustrated violent anger as the strokes are rough, as if the designer is sort of rapidly, stabbing the paintbrush all over the canvas. In painting B, the designer seemed to have more of a contained anger. The brush strokes are a lot more smooth, less rough and planned. The splashes of black show a bit of sadness mixed in.
There are many other elements that contribute to differences and similarities of these two pieces, some more obvious than others. Some differences and similarities can even be seen by others that can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment